[Box Backup] Exclude lists

Jamie Neil boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:44:49 +0000

Ben Summers wrote:
> A fair question. I'm afraid the answer is yes, though. There's quite a
> bit of work in Box Backup, and a load of generic useful bits and pieces.
> While I'm happy for people to use it for whatever they want (because I
> have benefited from the work of others released under the BSD license) I
> did write it during time I could have spent on paid work. As such I
> wouldn't mind a little acknowledgment in return if someone decides to
> use it commercially.

I can understand that you would want recognition if it was used
commercially, it just seems that the acknowledgement you get from such a
clause could be pretty inconsequential.

I suppose you would have similar issue with a copyleft licence like the
GPL, in that the code could still be used to provide a commercial
service and you would get no credit (even if improvements and changes to
the code would be guaranteed to flow back into the project).

--
Jamie Neil | <jamie@versado.net> | 0870 7777 454
Versado I.T. Services Ltd. | http://versado.net/ | 0845 450 1254