[Box Backup] bbstored/bbackupd communication ports

Martin Ebourne boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:07:07 +0000

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 09:40 -0800, Robert Shaw wrote:
> The reason I am posting is I was wondering if there is a way to know
> what ports bbstored and bbackupd are communicating on BEFORE the
> connection is requested. Is this possible? Or alternately, is it
> possible to hard-code the ports used per client to server connection? I
> want to be able to tunnel the connection over SSH from remote sites
> when I'm not on my local network, but when I look at the syslog
> outputs, it appears that the ports used are random. So I can't seem to
> forward the proper ports for it to communicate to the server.

Just curious as to why you'd want to tunnel over SSH. After all, the
whole point of box backup is that it's a remote, secure, encrypted
backup solution. (In fact in addition to the data being encrypted on the
client, the whole protocol is encrypted once more by an SSL layer.)

Cheers,

Martin.