[Box Backup] bbstored/bbackupd communication ports

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 02:15:41 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Robert,

> Just as a further comment, I changed all my other 127.0.0.1 port forwards
> (essentially port forwarding the ports on the current logged in host (my
> server)) to the actual IP of the server, and they all still work. I must have
> been lucky that it was working to the localhost IP. Still strange, but now it
> all works fine.
>
> Now my laptop will backup during the day (to home) when I'm at work too.
> Excellent!

I think I understand now. bbstored binds to a specific IP address, not to
localhost. So you can't (on homeserver) run "telnet 127.0.0.1 2201" but
you can run "telnet homeserver 2201". Thus, SSH also needs to connect to
the IP that bbstored is bound to, not to localhost. You can confirm this
with "lsof -lnp | grep bbstored" on homeserver.

Most services will bind to "any address" (0.0.0.0), thus you can connect
either to localhost, or the private IP(s) of the server, and it doesn't
make any difference to them. That's why IMAP etc. worked but bbstored
didn't.

Sorry I misunderstood your network layout, it's late and I'm tired.