[Box Backup] Restoring from a hardware failure

Dennis Speekenbrink boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:01:28 +0200

Per Thomsen wrote:

> All,
> I'm using a hardware raid card on my bbstored server, and I had a
> drive failure the other day. Switched out the drive, and everything
> seemed to work fine.
>
> However, one of the clients was unable to back up. I found the
> following in one of the backupdirs under that account (output of 'ls
> -li'):

Going for a hardware RAID setup myself for my new server, this worries me.
Could you please offer a few more details on the original setup and what
seemed to cause the crash.

It would seem to me that any hardware RAID setup (except 0:striping) is
_invented_ to prevent these issues from arising, no?

Thanks for any insights.

For your problem, it would seem to me that removing (or moving, try
never to destroy data unless your sure you won't need it anymore) would
cause the client to re-send all original data to the server.  But like
Ben posted, let bbstoreaccounts do it's thing before re-allowing the
client's connection.
The only way I see this going wrong, is when the client has dataloss
now, it will not be available on the server yet.

Good luck!