[Box Backup] Re. Bandwidth Limiting.

Scott McNee boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:37:15 +1000

Thanks Nick I have had experience with wondershaper + =
smoothwall(IPTables
for Packet tagging) + VOIP but I was after a smaller solution. I have =
found
something call trickle. I will test that out and get back to you. Added
benefits are that it runs in userspace. With all of the new kernel level
security implementations it seems easier to keep everything simple. =
SELinux
and GRSEC rulesets can get awfully complex. I can sense a whole new
sub-security position begin created in organizations where you will need =
whole new level of detailed knowledge about everything. (I hope I don't =
get
that job)

Thanks,

Scott McNee
ITServices
Lubetech Oil Analysis

-----Original Message-----
From: boxbackup-admin@fluffy.co.uk [mailto:boxbackup-admin@fluffy.co.uk] =
On
Behalf Of Nick Knight
Sent: Wednesday, 29 June 2005 5:48 PM
To: boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Subject: RE: [Box Backup] Re. Bandwidth Limiting.

I use shorewall - which is the firewall part but then a bolt on called
wondershaper - http://lartc.org/wondershaper/. This simply modifies
everything in the kernel to do it for you.=20

I have done this (mind you - not on the server running box but a Linux
firewall on the perimeter - but should make no difference where it does =
the
bandwidth control) and it worked a treat - b4 lots of complaints about =
slow
internet, after - compliments!

Regards

Nick