[Box Backup] sillyrestore.bash

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:08:35 +0000

On 1 Mar 2005, at 04:27, Justin H Haynes wrote:

> I wasn't paying attention and started bbackupd before trying to
> restore all my files to my laptop. Oops.  Thankfully the files were
> still there and marked as deleted.  It was just a bit more tedious to
> get them back because there isn't a fast way to do that kind of a
> restore yet.

This seems to be a frequent problem. Are people still adamantly against
my proposed feature where if the root of the backup location is an
empty directory, then the location is skipped without making any
changes to the store? This would guard against this kind of problem.

> If anyone else has this problem, until the client features are there,
> you might find this script useful.  I needed to write it so I didn't
> have to individually restore 17000 files with bbackupquery by hand.

Didn't "restore -d" do what you want?

There is also another undocumented feature which may help in this
situation. Use the -w flag on bbackupquery, and then use the undelete
command to "undelete" the directory. This will stop it having to be
uploaded again later, but you may find files you deleted appearing
again as it doesn't distinguish between files deleted now or months in
the past.

Ben