[Box Backup] bbackupquery force overwrite?

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:23:30 +0000

On 3 Mar 2005, at 14:16, Doug Poland wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 01:44:42PM +0000, Ben Summers wrote:
>>
>> On 3 Mar 2005, at 13:38, Doug Poland wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to force bbackupquery to overwrite existing files when
>>> using the get or restore commands?  I looked at documentation.txt and
>>> searched the mail archive but did see this addressed.
>>
>> No. The code is designed to avoid losing data, and will not destroy
>> anything. This is a backup utility!
>>
> I can appreciate that.  However, bbackupquery is a restore utility.
> The
> other side of the backup coin is the ability to efficiently restore
> data.  One would think that an optional switch supplied to the get or
> restore command to accomplish this.  Your thoughts?

I think that it's possible to efficiently restore data with
bbackupquery. You can restore to a different filename for individual
files. You can restore to any directory name you want (and move it in
place when it's done). And if your restore gets interrupted for any
reason, you can restart a partially completely restore.

What have I missed? I'm not sure what you could possibly want to do
that isn't covered by the abilities of the utility. (As long as you're
prepared to use other unix commands to finish the job off afterwards.)

But then, you haven't explained *why* you want to overwrite files, so I
could be missing the point completely. Context is a useful thing to
have when answering questions.

Ben