[Box Backup] Deleting old snapshots

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:31:58 +0100

On 29 Mar 2005, at 22:35, Richard Wallace wrote:

> Ben Summers wrote:
>> On 29 Mar 2005, at 20:48, Richard Wallace wrote:
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> Been using Box Backup in snapshot mode for a while now and I'm
>>> pretty happy with it.  Our backups are getting a little large and we
>>> really only want to keep the data from the last 45 days.  Is there a
>>> way to remove snapshots older than a certain time?
>> Have you tried setting the storage limits on the server to restrict
>> how large the account can grow?
>
> I did have a limit set but I've had to keep raising it, which is why I
> asked the question.

What happened if you didn't keep on raising it?

>> As yet, there is no way to specify exact rules over what data is kept
>> on the server, but this will appear in a later version. At the moment
>> it's "oldest data marked as deleted or an old version while the soft
>> limit is exceeded".
>>

> So, if I understand you correctly, when an account goes over the soft
> limit the oldest data is deleted until the account is back under the
> soft limit?

Yes. That is what the housekeeping process does?

> Any idea when we might expect a new version and what features are in
> the works?  I browsed around but don't see a CVS or SVN repo or a
> roadmap anywhere.

There isn't any particular document detailing this. It's discussed on
the mailing list occasionally. I don't know when the new release will
be, as I have to fit coding in around other work. (unless anyone would
like to sponsor me!)

Ben