[Box Backup] Wanting to write a new program.

Scott McNee boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 17 May 2005 19:15:10 +1000

Oh and Another reason is the transport of the Data(DVD) to the remote site.
It would best to be encrypted.

Thanks.

Scott McNee
ITServices

-----Original Message-----
From: boxbackup-admin@fluffy.co.uk [mailto:boxbackup-admin@fluffy.co.uk] On
Behalf Of Ben Summers
Sent: Tuesday, 17 May 2005 5:21 PM
To: boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Box Backup] Wanting to write a new program.

On 16 May 2005, at 23:32, Scott McNee wrote:

> Some of our sites may not have access to a suitable {link speed} or
> {Linux/Unix} box to Restore any data that they have backed up. Where
> as A DVD can be sent to site and restored directly to the windows
> machine if they
> are in possession of the appropriate Decryption Keys.

If you are using Box Backup within your organisation, and therefore
implicitly trust the server, what's to stop you from uploading the
client's key to the server, doing a restore locally on the server, and
then writing the DVD of the unencrypted files?

I'm not trying to stop you from writing a useful utility, but just
wanted to make sure it's absolutely necessary.