[Box Backup] keeping files from being deleted

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 24 May 2005 09:52:12 +0100

On 24 May 2005, at 03:34, John Coffey wrote:

> We have log files that need to be saved for up to 2 years.
> We have plenty of hard drive space.
>
> Once a log file is rotated it is saved on the server for 2 weeks and
> then removed from the server.
> It then needs to stay on the backup server for possibly up to 2 years.
>
> Can files not be flagged for deletion unless it is specifically
> flagged?

Not in this version. A lot of people have asked for it, so the next
version will. (It'll get quite a bit rewritten to cope with all the
feature requests.)

> They current solution I am using is to monitor the space and make sure
> it doesn't max out.
> If it does I increase the amount of space to use.

I think you might find better options for keeping logs. Box Backup is
really not designed for this, and since log files are so structured it
seems odd to use a generic backup system. Why not add an add an
additional script to the log rotation process which uploads the file to
the backup server with a filename including the date and time?

Ben