[Box Backup] BlockSize and large file diffs

Gary boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 09:01:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

Question: is there anyone out there who experimented with
raidfile.config, BlockSize, and large file uploads? I currently have
the following raidfile.config:

disc0
{
        SetNumber = 0
        BlockSize = 10240
        Dir0 = /var/bbstored
        Dir1 = /var/bbstored
        Dir2 = /var/bbstored
}

... with the block size of 10240 (10k, I'm ok with storage inefficiency
of partially used blocks). I backup quite a few files ranging from
500MB to 2GB. Any idea whether this setting (or any other) affects the
efficiency of the diffing algorithm, or the size of download of block
lists for file diffs, in the original version of BoxBackup and/or Jon's
improved algorithm?

It would be cool if I could create a script that would go over a backup
set, run some math calculations, and perhaps recommend a set of backup
settings (BlockSize, DiffingUploadSizeThreshold, etc.)

Gary

http://mail.yahoo.com