[Box Backup] ExcludeFilesRegex on Windows

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:53:39 +0000

On 22 Nov 2005, at 02:37, Waldemar Augustyn wrote:

> Robert B wrote:
>
>> Does ExcludeFilesRegex allow backslashes on Windows?  I.e., do I
>> need a backslash to exclude only files?  E.g.,
>>
>> ExcludeFilesRegex = .*\foo.bar
>>
>> or is this sufficient?:
>>
>> ExcludeFilesRegex = .*foo.bar
>>
> My guess is neither one is.  But that's just my speculation, I do
> not know the internals.  I would think you need a $ at the end to
> be more confident about what it does.  Unfortunately, BoxBackup
> docs have the $ escaped with a '\' in one place and non-escaped in
> another.  So which one is right?   That's my question.  There seems
> to be no easy way to tell.   I tested my RE strings with a Python
> interactive which supposedly adopts the platform's idea how to
> process REs.   This may have no relation to boxbackup's
> interpretation of REs, though.

The syntax depends on which regex library the client uses. I believe
(because I didn't do the port) that the Win32 client uses the Boost
library.

    http://www.boost.org/libs/regex/doc/syntax.html

The directory separator under Windows is \ .

Ben