[Box Backup] backup issue

boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:30:45 +0100 (CET)

I've been using boxbackup in lazy mode for a couple of months on our local
network to back up almost a dozen of servers. Everything worked fine, so I
decided to include some of the servers overseas into the backup process.

The first problem was the timezone - US timezones are 6-9 hours apart from
our
timezone, the second is the bandwidth (even though both networks have a 1Gbps
uplink, you can't get more than 250Kbps download for sucha distance) and the
third is the number of files/directories included in the backup - it's around
500000 files and 100000 directories.

The problem is, that after backing up 4GB out of 60GB of data the whole
backup
hangs and no new files get uploaded.

After a couple of days I decided to adjust the clock to be synchronised with
the bbstored server. This didn't help at all.
I tried the bbackupquery utility - has no problems at all, I can view the
backed up files and even restore them.
I tried to do bbackupctl sync -q it was hanging with no activity for more
than
24 hours.

This may be som major missconfiguration, but considering, that on other
setups
everything works fine, I decided to try the mailing list.

Here is the log from the client side:

bbackupd[24131]: Exception caught (7/34), reset state and waiting to retry...
bbackupd[24131]: File statistics: total file size uploaded 4794837241, bytes
already on server 0, encoded size 2354780269
bbackupd[24131]: Beginning scan of local files
bbackupd[24131]: Opening connection to server <SERVER IP>
bbackupd[24131]: Connection made, login successful
bbackupd[24131]: Exception caught (7/34), reset state and waiting to retry...
bbackupd[24131]: File statistics: total file size uploaded 20090, bytes
already on server 0, encoded size 8491
bbackupd[24131]: Beginning scan of local files
bbackupd[24131]: Opening connection to server <SERVER IP>
bbackupd[24131]: Connection made, login successful
bbackupd[24131]: Exception caught (7/34), reset state and waiting to retry...
bbackupd[24131]: File statistics: total file size uploaded 0, bytes
already on
server 0, encoded size 0
bbackupd[24131]: Beginning scan of local files
bbackupd[24131]: Opening connection to server <SERVER IP>
bbackupd[24131]: Connection made, login successful
bbackupd[24131]: Exception caught (7/34), reset state and waiting to retry...
bbackupd[24131]: File statistics: total file size uploaded 0, bytes
already on
server 0, encoded size 0

And log from the  server:
bbstored[1425]: Incoming connection from <CLIENT IP> port 46001 (handling in
child 18214)
bbstored[18214]: Certificate CN: BACKUP-2000
bbstored[18214]: Login: Client ID 00002000, Read/Write
bbstored[18214]: in server child, exception Connection TLSReadFailed
(Probably
a network issue between client and server.) (7/34) -- terminating child

>From the logs it seems obvious that there is some network/certificate issue,
but I can login to the backup server using the bbackupquery utility.

Thanks