[Box Backup] Backup Subversion

Martin Ebourne boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 05 Oct 2005 10:20:43 +0100

Prashant N <myprashu@indiatimes.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to backup the subversion repository with the options
> like full/incremental/differential ? If so how should i do this?

Somewhat depends on how your repository is set up.

If you're using the berkeley db backend (the default before svn 1.2)
then you should really dump the repository using svnadmin and back up
that up. This is because you can't be sure that the files are in a
consistent state when they are backed up.

Having said that, if your repository changes slowly then you can get
away with it (I have restored a bdb based repository successfully, but
it rarely changes).

If on the other hand you're using the fsfs backend (the default since
svn 1.2) then that is completely safe to backup with box. It also has a
bunch of other advantages, so I'd advise if you're not using it already
to dump your exisiting repository and rebuild it as fsfs.

As to special options, none are needed. Just make sure the repository
is covered by box backup and it'll take care of the rest.

Cheers,

Martin.