[Box Backup] Code in SVN -- review notes

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:25:56 +0000

I've taken a look at the code checked in recently, notes below. Does
anyone else feel like reviewing the code?

Generally, it's almost ready to merge in, and some handy stuff to
have. But the Win32 ports needs more attention as it's rather more
complex. Especially wrt to the build environment.

Thanks for all the efforts of the contributors. I notice none of you
have bothered adding a decent CONTRIBUTORS file, this must be rectified.

Ben

martin/solaris
==============
lib/server/Protocol.cpp -- can we avoid those extra memcpys? Is it
actually causing a problem with some processor without the ability to
do non-word aligned loads? Can we make it conditional on being run on
one of those processors using PLATFORM_ALIGN_INT?

Otherwise all good.

martin/ppcfixes
===============
All good.

martin/xattr
============
xattr is also available on Darwin, so the name of the test is
probably misleading.

My worries is that there may be quite a bit of xattr data, and the
way BackupClientFileAttributes are used assumes that they are
relatively small. I think they would be better represented as a
stream. But then, we need to write the code to support multiple streams.

Under Darwin, it'll pick up the resource fork as an xattr. This could
be quite large!

A minor point, but in the format of the structure, you would have to
store a zero for the xattr size if it was extended afterwards. Also
if it was stored here, perhaps I would prefer the ability to stack
multiple attribute records, so you'd get a standard UNIX one and
another xattr one?

I would be happy for this to be committed, as long as there was a
commitment (!) to revisit this code when multiple streams are
available in backup files.

(I'm quite keen on getting xattr's done properly. Another project of
mine [ http://www.fluffy.co.uk/spotmeta/ ] uses them quite extensively!)

martin/autoconf
===============
You appear to have removed my code which means someone has to take
positive action to working with old versions of OpenSSL. I'd prefer
that stayed -- it's a nasty hack to do the stuff I need with older
OpenSSLs.

infrastructure/BoxPlatform.pm - license slipped in!

I think it looks OK (reading the diffs carefully) but I'm not sure
how to actually compile it. We need to try it out on "all" platforms.

Also, how do we go about making a distribution? It'd be nice to have
something in docs/.

chromi/diffopt
==============
static int sMaximumDiffTime = 600;             // maximum time to
spend diffing
     -- not sure whether this is good or not?

Style: A tendency to place {'s on the same line as ifs and whiles.
And "} else {"...

Is docs/backup/encrypt_rsync.txt changed, or just renamed? Use svn
rename first anyway.

Looks good, these are very minor points. But I would appreciate
consistent style.

nick/win
========
To be honest, this scares me. Also, the DOS line endings screw up the
diffs. Something to look at in more detail another day, I'm afraid.
If someone would like to commit one with the line endings The
Invisible Sky Giant intended us to use, that would be lovely.