[Box Backup] Backup with far more space used than source

Kristopher Zentner boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:56:20 -0700

I set up box backup not to long ago with the intention of connecting 3 servers
to it. It's backing everything up to a single USB drive (so no RAID) One client
running FreeBSD has a bunch of config files and only takes up 7 gigs, the other
client is my media server running Ubuntu.

My media server backup that has all my cds (which are mostly aac/mp3) and
movies, etc is what's puzzling me:

Here's the FreeBSD server's backup stats via du:
(#:/backups/backup)- du -h -d 0 00000002
242G    00000002

However here is the Ubuntu client's drive stats:
/dev/hda1             185G  142G   44G  77% /

Granted I'm not backing up the entire drive, only about 135G worth and this is
afer only one snapshot session, but even then the backup shouldn't be that big
should it? I'm using v0.09 on both client and server.

Thanks for any help on this...

-Kris