[Box Backup] backupbox on Mac OS X

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:49:59 +0100

On 23 Sep 2005, at 21:42, Nikita Borisov wrote:

> I'm trying to install a boxbackup storage server on my MacOS 10.4 box.
>  Initially, I had trouble compiling boxbackup, but after a small patch
> to BoxPlatform.h (below) I got it to build.  However, when I ran the
> unit tests, I got a number of failures, so something is wrong.  Here
> are the errors I got:
>
> % ./runtest.pl ALL | grep FAIL
> IMPLICIT TEST FAILED: Something left files open

The file left open is the syslog socket. I haven't been bothered to
fix this yet.

> FAILED: 1 tests failed
> FAILURE: Condition [foundCurrent] failed at testbackupstore.cpp(1354)
> FAILURE: Condition [foundOld] failed at testbackupstore.cpp(1355)

This is likely to be a timing issue. The problem with testing an
independent daemon which uploads stuff in it's own sweet time is that
it's difficult to write a test which reliably checks that it's done
it's work but doesn't take ages to execute. It looks like your
timings were off on that run.

> +
> +       #define PLATFORM_GCC3

Mac OS X 10.4 uses GCC v4, which wasn't around when I did the build
environment. Your patch fixes things perfectly fine until the next
version, which detects things properly.

I actually did most of the development work under Mac OS X 10.3, so
you should be fine using it. But note that the backup client doesn't
store resource forks or any other HFS+ attributes, if that's
important to you. Of course, the server support is platform independent.

Ben