[Box Backup] GUI (like boxi, but another)

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:48:34 +0000

Hi Alex,

> Well, i try to explain what i want. When i run boxi (under linux), i
> need to select all config files for boxbackup. But. My user not root,
> and i dont have permission for read at /etc/box/bbackup and i dont have
> permission write to /var/run/bbackupd.sock. (Because, boxi whant to
> start bbackupd by self.) All what i want its GUI works analogical
> bbackupquery, but whith graphical interface. Please, try to understand -
> i cant talk to user "hey! you have a bbackupquery like a shell! use it!"
> I need more.
>
> I dont whant to setup boxi like boxbackup. I want run it and use it.
> Thats all. Can you help me?

Sorry, you have to set up Boxi like Box Backup, because it needs the
same information to work with. It's difficult to avoid that. (The next
version will allow you to run interactive backups and restores with less
information configured, and make it easier to configure with a wizard).

You can certainly run Boxi (and Box Backup) as a non-root user. I do all
the time. Tell Boxi where to find its configuration file (if not
in /etc/box) by giving it a command line parameter, or File -> Open.

You can also browse and restore files (like bbackupquery) without
starting bbackupd, so you don't need to set the PID file location, etc.