[Box Backup] More about security

Martin Ebourne boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:15:50 +0100

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 21:00 +0200, Magnus Homann wrote:
> Mikael Syska wrote:
> > As I understand it, the only file that can't be recreated is the
> > "x-FileEncKeys.raw" file.... if you loose that, the backup is worthless
>
> Yes, that's my ide too. I want to print it on paper and store it in a
> safe place (and also as a file of course).
>
> But is there instryctions on how to recover all keys and certs if this
> file is all you hvae left (and the actual backup store, of course)

As Mikael said the only thing you cannot recreate is the client's key
file. This is what is used to encrypt all of the data and should be kept
securely on the client (and offline), and not even passed to the server.

The rest of the files are for the certificates which are just used for
authentication on the server side. You can regenerate all of those
completely from scratch if you need to (follow the usual instructions).

Cheers,

Martin.