[Box Backup] problems with large files?

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 12:21:15 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Paul,

> I'm planning to move Box Backup into production, and it looks very good.
> However, I keep getting "compare" and "get" errors with large files (things
> like ISO images).

Only on files over 2 GB? I guess those would be DVD ISO images rather than
CD-ROMs?

> As far as I can see, file sizes are kept as 64-bit values throughout.
> However, on my Windows box (mingw), the upload stats are obviously either
> truncated to 32 bits somewhere, or one of the big files (about 4 GB, a DVD
> image) is being switched into 32-bit signed.

There is definitely NO support for large files (over 2GB) on Windows at
the moment. Sorry, I just haven't got around to it yet. It's completely
different to other platforms that Box supports.

> I'm using release/0.10 from the SVN repository.  Server is AMD
> something-or-other running FreeBSD 6.0; clients are Intel
> something-fairly-new with FreeBSD 6.0, Mac PPC G4 OSX 10.4.6, and Windows
> pIII XP/SP2.
>
> I also get problems with big files on MacOS, and am going to test FreeBSD
> Real Soon Now.

Both of these platforms are expected to work with large files. If you
compiled Box yourself, you should double-check that the configure script
detected large file support. If not, I'm pretty sure that it won't work.
Please let us know what you find.