[Box Backup] problems with large files?

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 00:24:13 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Gary,

> I am not sure the problem actually exists at all. XP systems include all
> the necessary runtime stuff by default, all other systems can be
> upgraded by installing, say, .NET Framework 2.0 redistributable.

Gah! Do we really have to install more than 100 MB of .net baggage just to
run Box? Gah! again.

> Half of the new stuff like SQL Server Express does not run without it,
> so it's on almost every Windows system on the planet.

Well, it's not on any Windows system that I've tried to run my VS-compiled
binaries on so far. Nor on my Windows development platform, which is a 4
GB virtual machine running Win2k, with no space for .net.

> I don't know why, but "compatibility" environments like MinGW or Cygwin
> always make me nervous.

I can understand your problems with Cygwin, but MinGW is not a
"compatibility" environment. It's a full-featured native compiler for
Windows, which links against the Microsoft Visual C runtime (msvcrt.dll).
[http://www.mingw.org].