[Box Backup] How to fix compare errors??? more info

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:04:57 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Magnus,

> This is what I got:
> homann@crux:~$ md5sum bigfile*
> f1c9645dbc14efddc7d8a322685f26eb  bigfile
> f1c9645dbc14efddc7d8a322685f26eb  bigfile.sparse
> homann@crux:~$

Is this on the same partition where you have gps.pdf? Can you try to
identify how gps.pdf differs from its copy?

od -Ax -tx4 gps.pdf       > gps.pdf.od
od -Ax -tx4 gps-back2.pdf > gps.pdf.od.2
diff -u gps.pdf.od gps.pdf.od.2

> This is .10, built by myself. All tests passed.

Are you sure you didn't fiddle with the output after pasting it into the
email?

> Didn't know about that. Thought bbackupctl sync overrode that.

No, it just tells bbackupd to do a sync, as if its backup timer had
expired.

> Yes, all three files are now identical with their backups. So, how should i
> proceed with the other files. Is touching the only option?

Not the only one. "touch -a" just changes the access time, and the inode
change time, not the last modified time. Try that, it might work and might
be less intrusive. Alternatively, you can modify the file.