[Box Backup] Box and non-C++ clients

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:36:16 +0000

On 15 Feb 2006, at 16:24, Stefan Norlin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> anyone who has any thought about other types of clients for
> use with Box Backup? For example a Java API for webapps
> or similar?
>
> I wrote a small perl application that basically connects, handshakes,
> and logs in to the box server... until I realized perl is usually
> not very
> 64-bitish by default.

use bigint;

> Then I did the same thing in Java "just for fun".

"Fun" ?

> Has anyone else have any more or less ongoing plans for things
> like this? I thought I would ask before I spend too much time playing
> around with this.

I haven't heard of anyone doing this.

I would recommend writing something to autogenerate the commands from
the protocol.txt file.

> Another thought is it would be great to be able to administer user
> accounts, limits etc via the Box protocol in order to be able to build
> for example a webapplication for Box central administration and
> another one to let users handle their archives.

If you're going to extend the server, then please post your proposed
design on the -dev mailing list for discussion before doing the work.
I have no objections to this if it's done "right".

Ben