[Box Backup] How to get geographic store redundancy right now?

boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:21:51 +1000

Hi Pete,
		we currently have that situation working now. I do however
use a program called rdiff-backup  this enables us to maintain =
increments of
a servers state at the remote location. Our Linux boxes also run two
versions of bbackupd with different conf without an issue.

Do make sure that you use a SNAPSHOT system or similar on the server =
store
of course or shut it down during backup.

-----Original Message-----
From: boxbackup-admin@fluffy.co.uk [mailto:boxbackup-admin@fluffy.co.uk] =
On
Behalf Of E.W. Peter Jalajas
Sent: Wednesday, 22 February 2006 4:28 PM
To: Box Backup Mailing List
Subject: [Box Backup] How to get geographic store redundancy right now?

Hi all,

Maybe this is the wrong time, with all the development work going on, =
but I
wanted to get some pointers for how best to, right now, provide =
geographic
store redundancy, that is, keeping reasonably similar versions of the =
client
data in at least 2 locations physically separated by many =
miles/kilometers.

I found some conceptual discussions with this google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=3D+redundancy+OR+%22multiple+stores%22+sit=
e%3Al
ists.warhead.org.uk
and in the wiki:
http://boxbackup.hostworks.ca/index.php/Future_design_changes#8._Server_R=
edu
ndancy_.28grabbed_from_message_by_Ben_on_9.2F24.2F04.29

But, I'm wondering what I should do right now. =20

All of my outside clients are on Windows (my boxes are mixed Windows and
GNU/Linux, mostly Ubuntu). =20

I'm not sure at all, but I guess that the best option right now is just
rsyncing the store to a remote server, as frequently as practical, would
work reasonably well (secure, reliable, fairly network and storage
efficient, convenient, fairly easily restorable). =20

Is it silly to ask, to give the client user a little more control than =
the
rsync method above, if it is possible (with maybe 5 or 10 lines of =
one-off
code tweaking) to run 2 boxbackup services on the Windows client, =
pointing
each service to separate bbackupd.conf files wherein the clients are =
pointed
to geographically separated StoreHostname's? =20

(Separately, I thought it'd be neat to be able to, someday, have a
bbackupd.conf line like:
     StoreHostname =3D eastcoast.domain.com  westcoast.domain.com and =
have the
single bbackupd service make best efforts to backup to both of them, but =
presume that would take quite a bit of coding.)

Thank you!
Pete