[Box Backup] Version 0.10 released

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:19:19 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all,

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Ben Summers wrote:

> The Box Backup developers have just released Box Backup 0.10.
>
>   http://www.fluffy.co.uk/boxbackup/

I've made a new Win32 native build. It's based on the released 0.10, with
some fixes for race conditions and potential crashes of bbackupd on
Windows, that didn't make it into the trunk in time for 0.10.

If you're upgrading from 0.09 (e.g. Nick Knight's 0.09hWin32 release), the
major new features are:

* optimised diffing algorithm.
* files are backed up when the MaxUploadWait or MinimumFileAge is reached,
   even for users in time zones other than GMT/UTC.

If you're upgrading from the last testing build that I made, "plus3"
(r474), or from 0.09hWin32, the following bug fixes are included:

* bbackupquery now lists file timestamps in the local time zone by
   default, with the new "ls -T" option to list them in GMT/UTC.
* Unix file modes are emulated during backup, so that the files can be
   restored on a Unix machine.

If you're upgrading from a previous test build, many more bug fixes are
included.

If you're upgrading from Nick Knight's build, or any test build except the
last one, you will need to upgrade the server to 0.10.

The new build is available from:

   [http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/chris/win32/releases/boxbackup-0.10_general_r511-backup-client-mingw32.zip]

Please note that this is NOT a release candidate, since there are still
outstanding bugs:

   [http://boxbackup.hostworks.ca/index.php/Known_bugs_in_the_Win32_client]

I do believe that this is the best Win32 build yet, but I would not advise
you to use it as your only backup strategy on Windows.

Thank you all for your hard work in testing the previous builds and
reporting problems!

> On a personal note, I would like to express my gratitude to the
> developers who have come on board for this release and done all the hard
> work. I am looking forward to the continued success of the project!

I'd also like to thank all the developers and users who contributed code
and test results to this release, and congratulate them on the successful
release of 0.10. Well done!