[Box Backup] Known bugs in Win32 client, Restored File Attributes problems?

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 16:16:22 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

FYI, I just changed the heading for this to be more inclusive:
http://boxbackup.hostworks.ca/index.php/Known_bugs_in_the_Win32_client#Restored_Files_Attributes_Incorrect

Under there, I see this:
"Nor are Access Control Lists or Windows file attributes restored
properly."

That kinda scares me.  Can someone please save this lazy admin the
hassle of trying to figure out how to test this, and explain to us all
the implications of that bug in a normal common (not perfect) Windows
(XP?) environment?  Will there be cases where users will be unable to
use the files, or will the wrong users have access to the files when
they shouldn't, or some other?  In my recent production restore, the
Limited User could still access the files fine after restore.  So, I'm
guessing, maybe the files are restored maybe with too-loose
permissions?  I just tried poking around the file Properties section
under Windows Explorer on WinXP SP2 and couldn't see anything relevant
about Ownership or Read/Write/Full Control permissions--am I missing
something?  Maybe it's because I have "Simple File Sharing"?  I don't
know; I don't see that for a file under Tools, Folder Options, View, or
for a Shared Folder under Properties, Sharing.

Thanks,
Pete