[Box Backup] Known bugs in Win32 client, Restored File Attributes problems?

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 08:15:30 -0800 (PST)

Thanks, Ben.  That helped a lot.  I googled those keywords and found
these items:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418&Product=winxp
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040#XSLTH4120120127120121120120
http://labmice.techtarget.com/windowsxp/security/default.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290403

So, the results depends upon whether the client computer is XP Home or
Pro, whether Simple File Sharing is on or off, and whether the
filesystem is NTSF or FAT.  Ugh.

(Win2K is another matter for another day.)

The bottom line, I guess, is that one uses "bbackupquery restore" (or
get) to restore the files to any new (as required by that command)
directory anywhere,
http://boxbackup.hostworks.ca/index.php/Verify_and_restore_backups
and then when those files are copied to the final directory (typically
where they were originally), they will pick up the permissions of that
final-destination parent directory by inheritance.  The only problem
will be if an individual file in the original source (parent) directory
had permissions different from that source parent directory, then they
will no longer have those special permissions after the restore.  And
if so, I guess it behooves us to document, before any restore is
required, any such files with permissions different than their parent
directories so that they can be restored correctly.  Any ideas on how
to obtain that special-permissions info efficiently?

Did I get any of that correct?!

And when you say,
> In general, the files will inherit the security attributes of the
> containing folder.
are there any imaginable situations where the files would NOT inherit
the attributes of the parent folder?

Thanks,
Pete