[Box Backup] Using multiple servers

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:07:47 +0000

On 13 Jan 2006, at 10:57, boxbackup@xolphin.nl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks Martin, for your help. It was very usefull.
>
>> There is no error, the generated configuration files are correct,
>> and will work if you follow the instructions that the
>> configuration scripts output.
>
> I was following the wiki manual. Next time I will take a closer
> look to the scripts output :).

I have added some notes to the wiki to tell users to pay more
attention to the scripts.

>> Proposed changes to the documentation to make this clearer would
>> be appreciated.
>
> I would recommend to add some instructions to the scripts output,
> or to the wiki.
>
> Like for example "cp /etc/box/bbstored/ca/roots/clientCA.pem /etc/
> box/bbstored/clientCA.pem".

DO NOT KEEP YOUR CA THERE. Keep it on a separate machine.

But you know, funnily enough, the script does tell you which files
you need to copy.

> To a unexperienced user it is unknown which certificates are being
> used and generated.

This is why the script output tells you exactly which files to copy.
Not in general terms, the EXACT FILE.

>> You should see a summary of the server configuration, and a
>> "Succeeded" message.
>
> It works now. I am sure it didn't work yesterday before the sync
> was started. Could it be because the deamon is busy investigating
> the system that it has no time to react to bbackupctl? I will
> investigate some more when I install the
> other backups.

That might be it. If the daemon is busy, it may not respond quickly.

>>> I would like to backup my Windows workstation to my server at
>>> home too. I am however unable to compile it. Could someone
>>> provide me with an already compiled version for Windows? That
>>> would be great.
>> Trunk or 0.09?
>
> Trunk please! :)
>
> I like BoxBackup very much, and I am promoting it to my friends
> too. Most of them are used to making rsync backups with a daily,
> weekly and montly rotation. This way you have backups for all days,
> a backup each week, and a backup for each month so it is easy to
> recover a file which is for example 3 months old. We discussed how
> BoxBackup may do this, I understand that it does some housekeeping
> if the soft limit is reached, but what does it do exactly? Does it
> remove the oldest files only,

Basically oldest first.

> or does it do its job more intelligent by keeping a montly, weekly
> and daily backup of everything? It is not clear to me in the
> documentation.

I want to revisit this in the next release but one.

> For my MySQL database I use replication, and I make a daily export
> of all data with mysqldump. This dump is then being tarred and
> stored as a .tgz. Is this the recommended method or is it better to
> leave the .sql as it is, so BoxBackup can transfer only the changes
> of the export?

Leave sql dump as it is.

Ben