[Box Backup] regex in native windows client boxwin0.09h.exe

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:26:58 -0800 (PST)

I am testing out the native windows client 0.09h on WinXP Home (to a
store server on ubuntu hoary across the room).

I'm trying to implement some of the exclusions listed on the University
of Ottawa, Centralized Backup and Restore Facility, "Exclude lists for
TSM" page (I'm not affiliated with them in any way):
http://www.ccs.uottawa.ca/software/tsm/lists.html

Here is my current work in progress (please note that I hardly know
anything about regex, as you'll soon see):

BackupLocations
{
  test
  {
    Path = C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\box\test
    ExcludeFilesRegex =
.+\.([aA][vV][iI]|[iI][sS][oO]|[mM][pP][eE]?[3gG]|[mM][pP][eE][gG]|[tT][mM][pP]|[bB][aAcC][kK]|[dD][bB][kK]|[bB][kK][~!1-9]|[mMtT][bB][kK]|[oO][lL][dD]|[sS][aA][vV]|[sS][wW][pP]|[xX][lL][kK]|[cC][sS][mM]|[dD][sS][kK]|[oO][bB][jJ]|[pP][aA][rR]|[dD][bB][xX])$
  }
}

That seems to work fine.  Last night I created 4 test files:
junk_20060113T0003.mpeg
junk_20060113T0003.mpg
junk_20060113T0003.mp3
junk_20060113T0003.mpx

and only the .mpx file was backed up, as hoped:

00000038 f----- 2006-01-13T10:04:18 junk_20060113T0003.mpx

(Note the datestamp that I put in the test filename--why it took 9+
hours to backup while I was sleeping, and how low you can set the
bbackupd.conf timing settings for testing purposes, are topics for
another posting.)

I'm now testing:
junk_2006-01-13T1111.bk~
junk_2006-01-13T1111.bk!
junk_2006-01-13T1111.bk1
junk_2006-01-13T1111.bkx

I'll add more exclusions-by-filename-extensions in due time, and
publish them back here in hopes that they are helpful to some folks.

I also plan to test the "Making regular expressions more readable" tips
of David Mertz:
http://gnosis.cx/publish/programming/regular_expressions.html

My question, finally, is I guess a general regex question.  I'd like to
add some filename exclusions based on the Ottawa list.  For example,
how would I modify the regex above to exclude some full filenames like,
say, "thumbs.db" and "history.dat" and "cookies.txt"?  I tried a few
random combinations of parens and pipes and bbackupd didn't seem to
like them.

(I have a delusion of me someday creating a website at which folks
could pick and choose exclusions from the Ottawa list and a script
would return a nice regex for them, as a thank you to Ben and the other
developers.)

Thanks,
Pete