[Box Backup] First official Win32 release

Nick Knight boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:10:29 -0000

Wow,

Thanks Chris for putting the extra work in whilst I am busy - I am glad
it has been taken a little closer to a full release.

When do you think the exclusions (large file support/SSL keep alive)
will happen. In my experience so far they are definitely needed.

Thanks again.

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: boxbackup-admin@fluffy.co.uk [mailto:boxbackup-admin@fluffy.co.uk]
On Behalf Of Chris Wilson
Sent: 20 January 2006 23:28
To: BoxBackup Mailing List
Subject: [Box Backup] First official Win32 release

Dear Box Backup users,

I'm pleased and proud to announce the very first official prerelease of=20
Box Backup 0.10 for Windows (native build).

This is a PRERELEASE, intended ONLY for users who are interested in=20
testing it and giving feedback. The version number is 0.10_rc0.1_win32,=20
which means that this is similar to what will become Box Backup 0.10, is

not yet a release candidate (RC0), and contains fixes specific to
Windows.

No official release candidate for Box Backup exists at this time, but
once=20
it does, and builds on Windows, I will create another release.

This release STILL HAS BUGS and you should NOT RELY ON IT for backups at

this time:

* No support for large files (over 2GB)
* No support for SSL keepalives. MaximumDiffingTime > 300 seconds may
not
   work.
* Generates plenty of warnings in the Windows event viewer, some bogus,
   some not.
* The command socket is supported but probably not secure, and can be
   disabled by commenting out the line "CommandSocket =3D pipe" in
   bbackupd.conf

You can download it from=20
[http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/chris/win32/releases/boxbackup-0.10_r
c0.1_win32-backup-client-mingw32.zip].
The MD5 digest of this file is [fb8bf05b4d8a365b724dbac078048c1e].

As the file name implies, this is a Box Backup client only. The server
has=20
not been ported to Windows and this is unlikely to happen any time soon.

To install, unzip the ZIP file and move to "C:\Program Files\Box
Backup".=20
Configure as for a Unix client, noting that:

* Keys and certificates must be generated on a Unix machine
* Paths are specified as "C:\foo\bar"
* Regular expressions are not supported in this release
* The directory "C:\Program Files\Box Backup\bbackupd" must exist and be
   writable.

It can be run from the command line, or if correctly configured, by=20
double-clicking on bbackupd.exe. The daemon control tool
(bbackupctl.exe)=20
and server query tool (bbackupquery.exe) are also included.

It can also be installed as a Windows service by running "bbackupd.exe
-i"=20
which should report "Box Backup service installed".

Please report any bugs that you find, which are not listed above, to the

mailing list, or to me personally.

I would like to thank:

* Ben Summers for writing Box Backup;
* Nick Knight for porting it to Windows and providing us with the source
   code for the necessary changes;
* Martin Ebourne, Gary and Charles Lecklider for noticing and correcting
   many of my mistakes and reviewing my code, and for their
contributions
   to Box Backup;
* and the entire team for their support and encouragement.

Full credit for the port goes to Nick Knight, but I take responsibility=20
for any bugs, errors or omissions. If it doesn't work for you, please
bug=20
me and not Nick.

Cheers, Chris.
--=20