[Box Backup] locking files on Windows

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:35:26 +0100

On 15 Jun 2006, at 15:58, Chris Wilson wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
>> Is it possible that bbackupd is not releasing a lock on the data
>> file which this app uses? Or am I just unlucky in that it just
>> happens to be backing up that file at the same time every day?
>
> It is possible that it's failing to release a lock, although I
> thought I had covered all code paths that could cause this. Do you
> get any errors relating to this file in the Windows event viewer?
> Can you exclude it from the backup (temporarily) to see if the
> problem goes away?
>
> I don't think it could be backing up the same file at the same time
> every day if you are using automatic backup mode,

If you mean lazy mode, then yes it could be. Imagine a large database
file which is modified during the day only, except for a batch
process which runs about 2am in the morning. With the default setting
of 6 hours after modification for uploads, this could still have the
file open at the same time every day.

Ben