[Box Backup] Following Symbolic Links

Peter Porter boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:51:57 -0600

Gentoo links several important config files under /etc to a place in the
portage tree, under /usr/portage/.  Certainly a bad assumption of me not
to check the entire directory structure to be sure, but in looking for a
solution the cleanest option (in my opinion) would be to have a follow
symlinks option.

Specifically naming each symlinked directory will make for a messy
config and backup store.  Furthermore, it's certainly forseeable that a
program may add a symlinked folder/item at a later date and, chances
are, I will be unaware.  In this case I would like to say "back up this
entire logical structure" to be *absolutely sure* I'm not stupidly
missing anything.

I can certainly see the general design benefit of backing files up as
they exist on the unix filesystem, but given this situation I see why
the option was added to tar, and I don't see a clean method to guarantee
that everything that logically falls under the /etc folder is backed up.

-Peter