[Box Backup] Multiple bbstored processes?

Todd D. Esposito boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:11:02 -0600 (CST)

Pete,

On Thu, March 2, 2006 13:55, E.W. Peter Jalajas said:
> Thanks, Todd.  I see what you mean.  It doesn't look like my flailing
> on the server started it, but maybe my stopping and starting the
> windows client service left something hanging.  The following screen
> scrapes show that nothings going on in the box log for the past 6
> minutes (or does it?), so I think I can and maybe should just kill
> 9614.  What do you think?

Just did a quick check on a couple of my boxen, and both have two
"bbstored" processes in the same configuration as yours.  Also, a quick
browse through the bbstored source code (BackupStoreDeamon.cpp) shows that
it does in fact fork a child process explicitly to handle housekeeping, so
what you have there is a perfectly healthy system, at least as far the the
number and relationship of processes is concerned.

If you're concerned, why don't you try a bbackupquery or two, just to be
sure you can connect and browse the store properly?

Also, just as a matter of best practices, going around 'kill'ing processes
is generally frowned upon, unless you're REALLY sure something is wrong.

-Todd