[Box Backup] Exception (1/9)

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:48:40 +0000

On 13 Mar 2006, at 21:21, Mario S. Mommer wrote:

> Just a short note to say that yes, there was a file owned by root, and
> when I removed it, everything worked. Thanks!
>
> Now I've realized from looking over logs that bbackupd 0.09 is
> ignoring my
> ExcludeDir directives, and backing up old linux kernel trees etc.

I'm glad it's resolved. I have added a feature request to the wiki
about handling this situation more elegantly.

However, you are recommended to run bbackupd as root, and other
configurations are not really supported.

> Anyway, I'm rather busy right now. Over the weekend I will have a
> little
> more time and send more info.
>
> And, just out of curiousity. Why are the error messages so
> spartanic? It
> seems like a matter of looking up a string in a table that already
> exists
> - but it isn't done by the software. What is the reason for this? No
> request or criticism, I'm just wondering.

I wrote the original version without intending to open source it, and
to run it within a system maintained and managed by agents which
would understand these problems. Also, the common "config wrong"
issues simply wouldn't have appeared.

This approach has not carried over well into a more widely available
package. It will be looked at, I'm sure.

Ben