Port tarball updated (Re: [Box Backup] Call for testers: FreeBSD port)

Manfred W boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 17:16:29 +0100

James O'Gorman schrieb:
> On 18/3/06 00:52, Manfred W wrote:
>> I have successfully installed the port
>> (http://www.netinertia.co.uk/boxbackup.tgz, 2006-03-18) on FreeBSD 6.0.
>>
>> But there are some questions left:
>>
>> 1. nothing is logged by boxbackup.
>
> Are you sure there isn't anything getting logged onto the console?
noting was logged to the console not to /var/log/messages

> You could try adding something like this to /etc/syslog.conf:
>
> !bbstored
> *.*                                             /var/log/bbstored
> !bbackupd
> *.*                                             /var/log/bbackupd

but this did the trick!!!

>> I am unable to find any logging info regarding box operations (not in
>> /var/log/messages) I tried the modifications to syslogd.conf but no
>> avail, the logfiles are staying empty.
>>
>> 2. where are the bdb files located, how can i verify that the bdb is
>> used by bbackupd (the make output shows YES)
>
> Do you mean the bdb libraries? /usr/include/db.h is where the db1 header
> is, or you can install db4.x from ports.
no, i meant the file(s) where the information about already backuped
files is stored. (the bdb data store ?)

On another suse, box when i tested boxbackup, i had trouble adding bdb
support (suse got the location of the header files wrong) and the
bbackupd process grew to 200MB due the the use of the mem-storage
engine. After every restart the collecting started all over and took
ages (webserver with loads of small files). To be sure i want to have a
look at the bdb data files.

>> 3. I believe the 0.10 version includes the traffic accounting path for
>> bbstored. How can I use this feature?
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.
It seems i mixed that up. There was a discussion on the dev-list about
adding a path to count the bbstored traffic on the serverside without
firewall tricks for version 0.10. I looked at the changelog and it seems
that it didn't made it into the release.

>> 4. The port asked if i want to build the testcases, wich i did. Where
>> do i find them an how do i run them? The non port version reported
>> failed testcases for bbstored, is this fixed or can these error be
>> ignored.
>

> The OPTIONS dialogue says that if you enable TESTS, there is a test
> target you can run, i.e. run `make test`.
Thanks, i overlooked that.

> James
Thanks a lot for your help and great work
Manfred

BTW: the port works for me with or without GNUREADLINE