[Box Backup] Re: How can I delete files/directories from the store?

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 18 May 2006 10:01:08 +0100

On 18 May 2006, at 09:51, o omida parasita wrote:

>> Tell bbackupd not to back up those files (see comments in
> bbackupd.conf), restart bbackupd, and wait for the system to take
> care of it.
>
> How much do I need to wait? I removed the location from bbackupd.conf
> 3 days ago and it was not deleted.

This is a slightly different question. You're not asking how to
delete files, you're asking how to delete a location.

When you remove a backup location, you will see a message in the logs
saying it will delete it after two days or so. This counter is reset
every time you start or restart bbackupd. Have you restarted bbackupd
in the meantime in those three days?

Also, files are only actually physically deleted from the server when
the space is needed. Being a backup system, it tries to not delete
data unless it has to.

So, check to see if they're marked for deletion. Run the list
command, see if it's got an 'X' in the flags column. The chances are
it's marked, and bits of it are being removed as new data is uploaded.

Or are you having a problem you're trying to resolve, and not telling
us the full story?

Ben