[Box Backup] Tunneling TLS through SSH?

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 18 May 2006 12:44:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Magnus,

Do these pages help?:
http://www.rzg.mpg.de/networking/tunnelling.html
http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/66

Making this up as I go, can you do something maybe like:
In bbackupd.conf, change
  StoreHostname = yourhost
  StoreHostname = localhost
Then set up your ssh keys.
Then create the tunnel in an init script and/or a cron job:
  ssh -L 2201:storeserver:2201 farawayrouter  cat -
(The cat - trick is new to me.)

(I don't suppose you can use your box keys instead of having to
generate new ones.)

Leaving the tunnel open like that is a little weird, I guess, and maybe
not stable.  Maybe you can hack the bbbackud somehow to first create
the tunnel?

(I'm experimenting with openvpn http://openvpn.net/ at the moment for a
client who wants to do off-site backups to his new big WinXP box at
home. Don't know if that helps at all.)

I hope that is close to being correct and helps a tiny bit.

Removing all doubt,
Pete