[Box Backup] exception Connection Protocol_HandshakeFailed (7/48)

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 18 May 2006 13:15:00 -0700 (PDT)

One for the search engines:

I was upgrading my tax guys' Windows XP (WinXP) box backup client today
to Chris' new 568 client, and then after it was running awhile and we
were chatting about other things, I accidentally on purpose turned off
the router to reset his wi-fi for another desktop in his office.  The
backup came to a grinding halt of course.  After starting the router
again, box backup would connect to the server, but would stop, throwing
this in the Event Viewer:

exception Connection Protocol_HandshakeFailed (7/48)

After duly flagellating myself like some kind of monk, and googling
site:lists.warhead.org.uk  HandshakeFailed
and
"box backup" HandshakeFailed

and finding nothing and not having a clue as what to do next, I ssh'd
back to the server, looked in /var/log/box and saw 3 bbstored processes
running.  I found the /var/log/box record that had the 3rd process id
and my client account id, and saw that the last log record for that
process id was it hanging on an upload that I knew was dead, and so I
killed that process, restarted the Windows service, and all was good.

I hope this helps someone down the road.