[Box Backup] BoxBackup services?

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 29 May 2006 08:48:28 +0100

On 28 May 2006, at 23:41, Chris Wilson wrote:

> Hi Felix,
>
> On Sun, 28 May 2006, Felix E. Klee wrote:
>
>> Well, there's a crux that I didn't mention: The files that I want to
>> backup are part of an overlay file system.  This means: some files
>> are
>> private, others are shared (virtual server infrastructure):
>>
>>  http://www.escapebox.net/modus.html
>>
>> Naturally, I only want to backup the private files (ca. 50MB
>> compared to
>> 2GB, fluctuating).  The problem is that, due to technical reasons,
>> it's
>> not possible to mount all shared files into their own partition.
>> There's a little tool, though, called "ismine" that tells one if a
>> file
>> is private file or a shared file.
>>
>> Is it possible to have "boxbackup" use "ismine" to determine
>> whether a
>> file should be backed up or not?
>
> Not at the moment, I'm afraid, but it wouldn't be too hard to add
> such a feature to the client. If Ben said he was willing to accept
> the result into the Box trunk, then I'd be willing to try to
> implement it. No promises, though.

I think it would have to be something a bit more generic. I suspect
we'd want to add that feature previously discussed where an external
script would approve all files before they're uploaded. But not to
run the script for every file, because that would be horrendous, so
you'd want to communicate over stdin/stdout.

IOStreamGetLine and LocalProcessStream might be good classes to use,
and you could reduce the impact on the rest of the code by using a
class derviced from ExcludeList.

Ben