[Box Backup] Does windows client handle exchange server files

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 08:04:28 -0800 (PST)

Maybe this is obvious, but please also be careful of the converse:
that is, not only can box backup not backup a file that is locked in
use, but also, your customers cannot open a file that is being backed
up by box backup if box backup gets to that file first.

So, since I am primarily using lazy mode, and thus have not bothered to
control when the backups happen, I cannot risk having my customers
locked out of their important business files (quickbooks, outlook.pst,
some .doc/.xls/.mdb files, etc) because box backup is running, that I
am now defaulting to EXCLUDE those types and then work out a strategy
with the customer for each of those software applications to backup
only the backup versions of those business files.

This lock-out problem is particularly problematic because, it seems,
the more important business files are frequently quite large and thus
the customer is locked out of them for very long and frustrating
periods of time, usually at the worst possible moment.  Exchange would
fall into that, and that is on my list to work on, when time permits.

Maybe shadow copy is really the generic solution to this problem; I
have to look into that more.

Pete