[Box Backup] Does windows client handle exchange server files

Stuart Sanders boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 01 Nov 2006 00:20:00 +0800

A while back after I first joined the list, I sent a comment on something I=
'd found to the dev list.  This might be a temporary solution to those with=
 windows file locking issues on Win2k3 servers.  Note I haven't tested this=
, as I've moved to another solution for now that can handle MS Exchange spe=
cifically, and have been snowed under workwise and familywise for the last =
couple of months.  Also whether it would work with winxp I don't know.  The=
 author specifically says only win2k3.

VSS is something I want to specifically spend some time on later when I get=
 a chance.  In the mean time see if this is of any help.

Stuart

http://www.itefix.no/phpws/index.php?module=3Dfaq&FAQ_op=3Dview&FAQ_id=3D81

Extract:

Can cwrsync copy files in use ?

A: =09NB! The recipe below applies to Windows 2003 Server only.

I recently had the issue of running rsync to backup up files that are "in u=
se". A good example was backing up documents and settings and the ntuser.da=
t file would always fail.along with several other system locked files.

Resolution was to download the VSS SDK from Microsoft's web site. The SDK h=
as an executable vshadow.exe which will allow you to create volume shadow c=
opies that are mapped to a drive, allowing rsync to use the VSS drive where=
 no files are locked.

An example command set would be:

rem create a permanent shadow copy
vshadow.exe -p -nw -script=3Dvars.bat
call vars.bat
rem drive H: is assigned to the permanent shadow copy created
vshadow.exe -el=3D%SHADOW_ID_1%,H:
rem perform your rsync operation, use drive H: (shadow drive) as source
rsync.exe -ruztiv '/cygdrive/h/xxxxxxx' myrsyncserver::myrsyncuser
rem remove the permanent shadow copy
vshadow.exe -ds=3D%SHADOW_ID_1%

-- Contributed by Rob Bosch

You may also visit the link for more detailed information.