[Box Backup] Add extra option for client to solve NAT problem?

David Anderson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 14:01:49 +0100

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 16:56, Jamie Webb wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 04:00:15PM +0100, David Anderson wrote:
> > Say my bb server is on the LAN as 192.168.1.1, but on the Internet as
> > 1.2.3.4. Then there is no single hostname that is appropriate for both
> > types of client, apart from the ugly kludge of having the LAN traffic
> > travel to the Internet router and back via NAT (using the Internet
> > address in both types of client).
>
> A simple solution is to put the backup server's external name in
> /etc/hosts on each internal client. Or do the equivalent using DNS.

Thanks for that, Jamie.

I was planning on doing something very similar (putting the backup server's
internal names in /etc/hosts in the external client - I have to do it this
way as the internal clients are already operational). However, it's clearly
an inelegant kludge, and I think it would be useful to provide a better
facility in future versions of boxbackup. If I were a C coder, I'd write a
patch - but I have no expertise in that department.

David