[Box Backup] Server Storage Compressed or Not

Stefan Norlin boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 19:52:51 +0200

>I think I recall reading that during the transmission process from the
>backup client to the server store the process was to compress and then
> encrypt the data.  Is that the correct order of operation?  I'd imageine
> that to be the case so that when the data is actually written to the
> server
> store array does it continue to be compressed.  Therefore I wouldn't think
> that there would be any way of determining from the server side the
> actual uncompressed size of the data--or is that too much information that
> the server "shouldn't" be able to glean unless it had the clients FE key.
> Finally can anyone describe the compression method used on the data?

The data in the store is compressed and it is not possible to know the
original size since it it not stored with the file.
I have once mentioned I would like this in order to be able to perform exact
calculations and I think Ben mentioned
the idea was that the it would reveal more or less sensitive info about the
file.

It is zlib that is used to it should be about the same method as gzip uses?

Regards,
Stefan