[Box Backup] Migrating - best practice?

Per Reedtz Thomsen boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 08 Apr 2007 00:32:52 -0700

On 4/6/07 11:34 AM, Garry Glendown wrote:
> After quite some time of running 0.09, I plan on finally upgrading to
> 0.10  ...  what's the best way of migrating? Please note that there
> are some 20+ active servers doing backups on the server  ... (mostly
> Linux, couple of Win boxes)
>
> Would compiling & running the server with a different port be an
> option, in order to be able to run the version in parallel, or should
> I just take everything offline, then do all the upgrades and the
> re-run with 0.10? What about the backup store? Should I start with
> clean directories, or stick with the old files?
I would suggest running 0.10 in parallel on a different port, because
otherwise you're on an irreversible track, that you have to finish,
before all your clients are being backed up again. Running in parallel
you don't have the looming problem of backups not happening until you're
done.

I would use the old store. AFAIK, there are no format differences. I
have moved accounts, including data from 0.09 to 0.10 and it picked up
the existing data, and is able to retrieve and back it up.

FYI, my situation is a little different from yours, in that I was also
setting up a new server when I started migrating clients to 0.10.

Thanks,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | Reedtz Consulting, LLC | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102    |   pthomsen@reedtz.com  | C: 209 996 9561