[Box Backup] lcd with bbackupquery on win32 (chris' binaries)

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 17:40:34 +0100 (BST)

Hi Stefan,

> backing up my documents folder from "D:\Documents\" on fat32 works
> without problems.
> i could also restore several files using bbackupquery get (-i).
> but... changing directory locally doesnt work at all.
> ive tried lots of commands with and without quoting, with escaping and
> even with "sh cd..."
> i couldnt even get into the parent dir or a subdir.
> in the best case it gives an error message only and does nothing.
> sometimes (most of the time with 784) it fell back into the windows
> directory:
> query > lcd d:\
> Local current directory is now '\\?\d:\'
> query > sh ls
> CMD.EXE was started with '\\?\d:\' as the current directory path.  UNC
> paths
> are not supported.  Defaulting to Windows directory.
>
> whats the correct syntax to cd to another drive with the win32 rls?

Thanks for reporting this, I will look into it.

> the compare command doesnt work either
> compare -aq fails instantly (= on the first file?) with:
> Failed to open 'D:\Documents\\Default.rdp': The filename, directory
> name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Does your location directory end with a backslash in the configuration
file? It shouldn't. Will check this as well.

> i want to migrate from rsyncing to my local server to using encrypted
> incremental backups somewhere remote. i have been looking for a long
> time (even before bb 0.10 was released) and there is nothing that
> servs my needs. bb could somewhere in the not too far future, but it
> needs a lot of ui love to get there.

Have you looked at Boxi? Also, we are not paid to do this, we are all
volunteers, have you considered volunteering to help?

> the wiki is a mess. thats a _big_ problem for new people. you should at
> least mark the outdated stuff clearly, that would help a lot (e.g. ive
> been using rev 784 the whole day with good faith that its the current
> release because its listed on
> http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/trac/wiki/Installation) im quite sure those
> things would get fixed, if the wiki would be editable for everyone.

I fixed the installation instructions (although actually 784 is the latest
stable release, the two since are a bit more experimental). If you want to
help us to improve the wiki, specific issues like this are much more
useful than "the wiki is a mess".

Cheersm Chris.
--