[Box Backup] bbackupd - read errors on database files

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 23:03:21 +0100 (BST)

Hi Bernd,

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Bernd Zimmermann wrote:

> I am running box backup 0.10 (most recent download) on CentOS 4.4
>
> After the first sync my SubVersion repository was backed up fine.
> The svn/db/strings file is large - about 2.6 GB.
> Then, after some changes to the SVN repository caused by commits,
> following syncs report this error:
>
> Apr  6 10:11:44 codd bbackupd[16595]: Backup object failed, error when
> reading //var/www/svn/db/strings
> Apr  6 10:11:44 codd bbackupd[16595]: Error code when uploading was (4/11),
> BackupStore BadBackupStoreFile
>
> The config I am using has been generated with the 'snapshot' option
> and was not modified except for the location specification.
>
> Does this mean box backup is not designed to manage backups of data
> stores for applications like SubVersion? Is a special configuration
> neccessary for this use case?

Is it possible that the database files changed while the backup was
running, e.g. that something was committed to the SVN repository?

That might cause the above error. If so, then subsequent backups should
work, as long as the database is not being modified during the backup.

In that case, it is probably better to make a hot copy of the subversion
repository and back that up instead of the live repository.

If not, then please let me know if you can reproduce the error. Please
could you try downloading and compiling my merge branch
(http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/chris/merge) and enabling the
LogAllFileAccess option (LogAllFileAccess = yes in bbackupd.conf) and see
what it outputs about the file concerned?