[Box Backup] lcd with bbackupquery on win32 (chris' binaries)

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:47:58 +0100 (BST)

Hi Stefan,

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Stefan Tauner wrote:

>> Does your location directory end with a backslash in the configuration
>> file? It shouldn't. Will check this as well.
>
> in both zip files the sample config file has a \ at the end of the
> path so i didnt dare to change this :)

Sorry, what sample config file? As far as I'm aware, the zip files that I
distribute don't have any sample config files.

> i removed the backslash and the quick compare works now.

OK, that's good to know, I've added a check for this to the bbackupquery
compare command.

> i havent looked into it yet because the last release was 2005, but i
> just realized who made it, so i guess its not dead ;)

It's not dead, it's pining for the hills ;-) It's been on hold for a while
as I've been concentrating on improving the Box Backup core platform on
Windows. That's getting close to finished now.

> i cant say exactly whats the problem, i just havent found it to be
> very helpful when i was looking for advice.

If you find it difficult to find something, or duplicate information, and
you don't feel confident about editing it yourself, then please point it
out to us, as you have done here, and one of us can fix it for you.

> i think the problem is,
> that it has too much noise (think about the stuff from the old wiki).
> for example
> http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/trac/wiki/GeneralInstall
> and
> http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/trac/wiki/CompilationOnDebian
> are almost equivalent but both lack some of the details of the other,
> so you have to read both to get all information.

To be fair, the start of the "CompilationOnDebian" page does say:

> This howto was created during the testing of Box Backup 0.10 RC3,
> February 2006. This page augments only slightly the GeneralInstall page,
> which takes authority over any errors or uncertainties herein.

> ill probably merge them and add my input in the next days (if thats
> ok?)

Sure, please go ahead The CompilationOnDebian page is, in my opinion, too
verbose and specific to a particular, unusual distribution (DeMuDi) which
nobody else is likely to be running. General Debian instructions would
probably help more. There should be no need to edit your
/etc/apt/sources.list file at all.

> id maybe interested in contributing code also, although c++ is new to
> me. there are so many small thinks, that could be improved even by my
> imo :)

Sure, please send questions, explanations or patches to the developers'
list. http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/trac/wiki/MailingLists

> do you guys have an irc channel somewhere?

No, only the developers' list. I don't have time to hang out on IRC.