[Box Backup] Restore & Compare Issue ** UPDATE **

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:45:33 +0100 (BST)

Hi Matt,

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Matt Brown wrote:

> Well the file is in question is an SQL backup done via NT Backup on a
> Windows 2003 Server and then rsync'd (via Cygwin) to a 2.5TB data
> central backup store (Linux box with large storage array) and in turn
> produces a 20GB file - this data store then needs an offsite backup so I
> am running the bbackup client to send to the remote host. As I am trying
> to keep the transfer small(ish) I gzip first otherwise we would be
> sending a 20GB file each night (and growing). 3.5GB a night is not too
> much of a problem for us as the pipe carrying the data is big enough and
> quiet at night - my main concern is if the gzip gets corrupted when
> sending/restoring as I do not like depending on compressed data where I
> can help it.

If I understand correctly, you are doing SQL server -> offsite store
running bbackupd -> bbstored server?

I would send the file from the SQL server to the offsite store
uncompressed using rsync. That will use less than 3.5 GB of bandwidth and
take less time too.

Alternatively, gunzip it on the offsite store before running bbackupd on
it.

The problem is not just the 3.5 GB of bandwidth per day, but the fact that
every update on the bbackupd server will be 3.5 GB as well. You will use a
lot of space very quickly on the server if you do this.

> I have tried changing the LCD to other paths i.e /data /home and  /tmp and
> still the same issue. I tried /tmp to make sure this was not a directory
> perms issue.
>
> The only thing I can conclude so far is that it would be something to do with
> the size of the file :(

Please try the dd as well to make sure that it's not a local filesystem
issue.