[Box Backup] Exception: Cipher EVPFinalFailure (5/6)

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:15:28 +0100 (BST)

Hi Marco,

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Marco Bartholomew wrote:

> I'm getting this error now too, and was wondering if there were any
> developments in this area.
>
> I recently upgraded our servers (running Linux - ArchLinux) from kernel
> 2.6.17 to 2.6.20, and openssl was upgraded as well.  It appeared as if
> everything was running OK, but when I checked the logs, I noticed these
> errors on all our servers (all running the same distro and version.)  Times
> are correct on all servers, and nothing else had changed except
> for the upgrade.  Our window clients appear to be working normally.

What version of OpenSSL are you using? It seems there may be a bug with
0.9.8d:

   http://www.mail-archive.com/openssl-dev@openssl.org/msg22413.html

In which case, you might like to downgrade to 0.9.8 to see if it fixes
the problem.

As far as I can tell, this error is not actually causing any data loss. It
simply means that the stream was not shut down correctly, when it was
already in the process of being shut down.

However, bbackupd will discard its internal state when this happens, so it
will operate less efficiently, generate more network traffic and take
longer to back up.

Please let us know if downgrading fixes the problem.