[Box Backup] External CA / asp related questions

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:32:36 +0100 (BST)

Hi Daniel,

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Daniel Netzer wrote:

> * Is it possible to integrate boxbackup into an existing ca infrastructure?

It probably is. There are normally two CAs, one for server certs and one
for client certs. The server needs a copy of the client CA certificate,
which signed the client certificates, and vice versa. The common name of
the client certificates must be the account number, encoded in hex with no
leading zeroes, and nothing else. If such certificates can fit in with
your CA infrastructure, then you should be able to use them.

> * Are there any news on management tools/API? (I have read "BoxBackup
>   Server Side Management Specs")

Not yet, I'm afraid. Whata re your specific requirement? let's discuss it.

> * Is it possible to get information on bandwith usage for clients? (Did
>   not find anything definite on the list just something about sending
>   statistics to a socket...)

The server logs the number of bytes used by the client. Roughly speaking,
it should be the same as rsyncing the same directories, maybe a bit
better since compression is used and file lists are not sent each time.

> * Are there any plans for database integration for eg. accounts and/or
>   configs?

Plans yes, but no time to implement them yet.